Olmsted County Opens a 30 Unit Housing
Olmsted County HRA has responded to the community’s need for housing. The Mayowood housing project will have its Ribbon Cutting on October 26.
Triple A Rating
Moody’s Investors Service gave Olmsted County an “Aaa” rating. This is the highest possible rating. The rating allows Olmsted County to borrow money at low rates which in turn saves a great deal of money for county taxpayers. I support a county budget that keeps the levy rate low. I also support the many efficiencies that that county employs to keep the budget as low as possible. I work with the Board and county administration to keep a Triple A rating. Only 3% of the counties in the entire United States have a Triple A rating. The county budget will be finalized and approved by a Board vote in December.
More Senior Housing
The Housing and Redevelopment Authority will begin the process to build senior housing. The HRA Board voted to plan a housing development of about 41 units for Seniors who have low and moderate incomes. The construction will be at the Mayowood location adjacent to the housing unit for people with disabilities which will open at the end October. The HRA will own and operate the apartments. This will allow the HRA to build capital so that more housing can be built in the future. I voted to approve the plan for the HRA to build and operate this housing project.
The County released a new website that will provide accurate information on redistricting and allows for public input. https://olmsted-county-2022-redistricting-gis-olmsted.hub.arcgis.com
This website also lists events that will provide information and explanation on the redistricting process. In brief here is the timeline for the redistricting process:
- November 2021: City and County begin listening sessions
- December 2021: Rochester City Council begins process of adopting redistricting principles
- January 2022: City and County summarize themes from listening sessions, shares results
- February 2022: Legislative Districts expected to be finalized
- March 2022: City drafts new ward, precinct boundaries, public provides input on drafts
- Deadline for new city maps is 3/29/22
- April 2022: County draws county commissioner district maps
- Deadline for county maps is 4/26/22
Olmsted Corn Tower Wins
The Olmsted County Corn Tower has won a nation-wide contest on the best painted water tower. The tower was the People’s Choice winner of the Tnemec Company, Inc. Tank of the Year contest. Olmsted County refurbished and repainted the tower this year so that it will remain a landmark icon for Olmsted County.