Information from the Comprehensive Housing Market Analysis
(US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, 9/1/17)
(The HMA includes four counties: Wabasha, Dodge, Fillmore, and Olmsted)
- The sales housing market is pretty tight; there is an estimated vacancy rate of 1.3%, down from 2.0% in 2010. During the 12 months ending August 2017, the average homes sales price increased 11% partially of declining inventory of homes for sale. The near future forecast estimates the demand for new homes at 1,620 (beyond the 280 homes currently under construction).
- The current rental vacancy rate is estimated at 7.0%, down from 7.8% during 2010. The demand for market rate rental units in the near future is estimated to be 170 units (beyond the 740 units currently under construction).
- During the next three years, population is expected to increase by an average of 1,825 (0.8%) a year.
- As of October 1, 2017, the estimated population of Rochester and surrounding area is 218,000. The population increases have slowed slightly after 2009 as compared to the rate increase from 2000-2009.
- Education and health services is the largest employment sector.
- The three largest employers in the Rochester area are: Mayo Clinic (34,660), IBM (2,500), City of Rochester (1,291).
Dodge, Fillmore and Olmsted County (DFO) Victim Services provides comprehensive services to all crime victims. Crime victims are provided information and support. Victims can choose the option(s) that is best for them. The services include:
- 24.7 Crisis Response advocates provide on-scene support, at the request of DFO partners, at the hospital, crime scene, police interviews, and child advocacy center.
- Criminal Justice advocates serve as liaison to the criminal justice system throughout the entire criminal process.
- Legal Advocacy provides assistance with restraining orders, immigration and civil matters.
- Support Groups facilitate sexual assault survivor support groups.
- Sexual Assault Exam Payments ensure victims do not receive bills for services required by Minnesota Statute.
- Emergency Assistance helps with emergency expenses related to crime.
2017 Victim Services Statistics
- 1,439 Total Victims Served
- 484 Sexual Assault Victims
- 379 Domestic Violence Victims
- 576 General Crime Victims
Safe Harbor is program that serves 12 counties (including Olmsted) that is aimed reducing the number of sexually exploited youth. In 2014 Minnesota passes a law that ensures that sexually exploited youth are no longer considered criminals but rather victims. (This definition now includes ages 18-24). Victim Services aids these victims to so that they can escape from sexual exploitation. Since the inception of Safe Harbor in 2013, 6,000 professionals and community members have received training and awareness information. Last year, almost 10,000 students have also been provided with prevention programming.
I support the continuation of Victim Services and the Safe Harbor program.