No increase in Property Tax Levy
The County Board set the preliminary 2021 Property Tax Levy at a 0% increase from the 2020 levy. The actual Property Tax levy for 2021 will be set at the December meeting; in December the property tax could be less than 0% increase but it cannot be more than 0% increase. To meet the 2021 county budget, the county has not filled many employment positions and delayed planned expenditure. In addition, the County will use some of its reserves for the 2021 budget year. I supported this preliminary Property Tax Levy and will work with County Administration to continue to reduce county expenditures.
No increase in Property Tax Levy for Housing and Redevelopment Authority
The HRA Board did not increase the Property Tax Levy for 2021. The Levy will be same as 2020 (a 0% increase over 2020). The tax revenues will increase slightly because of the new properties and houses that were built in 2020. I supported no increase in the HRA property Tax Levy. I will continue to work with HRA to meet the county’s need for housing and to care for the homeless without increasing the 2021 Property Tax Levy.
County Board Helps Small Businesses and Non-Profits with CARES Act money
The County provided $4 Million CARES Act Dollars to provide financial relief for small Businesses and $1 Million for Non-Profits. The funds for this relief will be sent out next week. I supported this Board Action.
Here is the breakdown on how the money will be distributed to businesses:
- $3,113,000 Amount Awarded
- $33,000 Median Net (business) revenue Loss during COVID
- 308 Completed applications
- 77 Business that will receive the maximum allowable of $25,000
- 147 Business that employed six or fewer full-time equivalents
- 10 Veteran owned
- 94 Women owned
- 44 Minority owned
- 14 Applications pending confirmation
Here is the breakdown of the distribution of funds to non-profits:
- $656,000 Amount to be awarded
- $39,000 Median net revenue loss during COVID
- 39 Completed applications
- 18 Non-profits receiving the maximum amount of $25,000
- 29 Non-profits serving low to moderate-income individuals and families
- 20 Non-profits employing six or fewer full-time equivalents
$1,231,000 of the funds set aside for Small Business and Non-profits were not applied for; the board will decide at a future date how to reallocate these remaining CARES Act dollars.